Wednesday 30 May 2012

Art installation...


This is my first art installation. It was done last year and has been displayed at the annual art exhibition at the Royal Brompton Hospital where it got me second prize by most popular vote.
During an exhibition people left many positive comments and I’m very grateful to everyone who took their time to write something. The fact that people wanted to see this art installation on a bigger scale made me very happy. Thank you
A little bit about work and how it came to life…….

Installation has been made out of my recycled oxygen tubing and intravenous infusion sets. All of it was disinfected few times, washed and dried. Some of the tubing was soaked in vinegar and food colouring to give it a slight shade of colour.
No glue was used in the making of the fish and butterfly, only scissors and weaving using Chinese knots.
Food jelly was used to show the liquid instead of a medication.
Glue was used to assemble ready prepared parts for the bed and to put all of the composition into place.
Frame is an IKEA shelf which was the best visible thing to represent hospital room.
Each person who was on the ward during the time of my stay was kind enough to write personal message regarding Cystic Fibrosis on the wristbands for you to read.
Each fish took two to three IV’s sets to make and in total there are 21 fish. All in all, the entire piece is a three weeks’ worth of intravenous treatment.

 In spring 2011, I have had a huge bleeding from my lungs. I was rushed to hospital and as I had nothing with me, playing with IV’s set trying to remember how I use to make a fish as a child seemed like a natural thing to do. After ideas just came flooding and so the butterfly and hospital bed were born. I still have more of what I want to make, but at this point had to stop somewhere as not much can fit in a small space.

This work represents weeks of me being ill in hospital and I hope in some way it represents people with Cystic Fibrosis.














No comments:

Post a Comment